Being part of the Event Crew
- Manage TYWI events
- Provide attendees with additional resources and interact with our community
- Reach out and impact more than just our current volunteers or those using our services
- And above all have Fun times!
Things to keep in mind
- Not a lot to do in between events (External)
- There aren’t many events, but you will need to make as many as possible (External)
- You can apply for as many positions as you want, but you have to fill out a separate form for each position. We will only pick you for one.
- Our department is very relaxed and informal, and although professionalism will be necessary at times, we want it to be a comfortable environment for you!
- Technical Crew (10)
- How to deal with issues/resolve problems
- Working camera & mic
- Know the schedule/technical stuff for questions
- Talk to workshoppers/etiquette
- Navigate Zoom/technical stuff
- Alternates (2–3)
- Everything mentioned above, though they don’t have to have it as in-depth
- Statistical Crew (2–4)
- Eventbrite updates
- Compile info for posts
- Feedback Report
- Thank you notes
- Tech Crew: Have to be at the event the whole time, will have 1 or 2 short prep meetings beforehand but not much else.
- Alternatives: Won’t do a lot most of the time, just filling in if someone else can’t make it.
- Stat Crew: More of a workload not just during events but before & after as well.
What it's like
- You'll meet lots of people
- Have fun and work in a relaxed environment
- Generally flexible and light workload
- No event is the same, you'll get to experience many different situations
Why you should join?
- Volunteer hours and other volunteer benefits
- Access to all TYWI events
- Flexible amount of work
How to apply?
Fill out the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!
When to apply by?
The form will be open year-round unless all positions are filled! If the form closes, we will make an announcement when it reopens, so you can keep an eye out for that.
Rules & Requirements
- Must 14+ years old to apply
- Be prepared to use Discord and Google Classroom for bootcamp
What if I can't make it to an event? (Tech Crew)
There aren’t many events, so we do expect that you make all of them. If you have a valid reason, make sure to email us with why you cannot attend.
My computer/camera/mic is no longer working. What do I do? (Tech Crew)
Try to find an alternative, whether that be using a different device or fixing your current one. If you cannot do either of these, you must email us with your reason and we will find someone else to replace you.
I volunteer in another department at TYWI. Can I still volunteer for this department?
Yes! As long as you feel like you will be able to complete the work for both without issues, you are free to volunteer for both.
How intensive is volunteering?
It is a pretty big responsibility, as events represent our organization and values, but the workload is lightweight and flexible. We won’t assign tasks to you unless you are sure you have time. While we do expect quality work, we acknowledge that you are a volunteer, and will consider that as we assign work.
What if I need a short break?
If you need a temporary break but intend to finish your duties, let us know so that we are aware and won’t pester you throughout your break.
What if I'm overwhelmed and can't continue?
We understand that things happen, and we prioritize our volunteers above all. If you truly feel like the workload is too much, or that you cannot uphold your responsibilities, please tell us three days prior when you’re planning to leave unless there are dire circumstances. Then we can work out either lessening your workload or finding a replacement. We would prefer not to do this, so please reserve this case for special circumstances.
What happens if I don't pass bootcamp?
If you want to be a volunteer, we’ll train you, give you resources, and make sure that you are ready before we throw you into the world. Of course, the bootcamp period is training, but if you need more help, we will be here.
Events we hold
- Beta Reader Extravaganza (reoccurring)
- Summer & Winter Write-A-thon
- Ambassador Events
- Smaller Ones (TBD)